Chris Detzel
Chris Detzel

Help with sizing a timer.

My church has an ice maker in the kitchen that is on its own 20 amp circuit.  The specification plate indicates the compressor is: 115-120W, 11 RLA 50LRA.  The electrical devices within the ice maker are all less than 1.0FLA.  As we do not use this ice maker on a continuous basis, I have to turn it on/off at least once per week if I don't want the ice to freeze into a giant cube.  With that, I would like to install a programmable timer (15 amp) to turn the ice machine on/off during the week.  I know the circuit breaker is rated at 20amp but the cost of a 20amp programmable timer switch is quite high.  Can I get by with a 15 amp programmable timer?

• Registered Users Mitglied
    Employee Mitarbeiter

Good question Chris Detzel , Maybe  can help

A couple of questions: is the ice maker hard wired into this 20 amp circuit or does it have a cord with a plug? Is it a standard 15 amp cord plug? Do you have a photo of the name plate?
  • Chris Detzel
    Chris Detzel

Als Antwort auf Dr Sparky:

It is not hardwired into the circuit. It is the only thing on this circuit. The plug is what I believe to be a 20 amp receptacle (one side looks like a "H" with one side missing). I am not sure how to attach a photo to this reply.

Als Antwort auf Chris Detzel:

ok, so it is a 20 amp device, can't use a 15 amp circuit then. Not sure what you consider expensive but the following timer will handle this load for $72

https://www.amazon.ca/GE-15136-7-Day-Outdoor-Metal/dp/B002HEMXOS/ref=pd_sbs_60_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KBP0V32D72BYWAEZ6CPB

unless westburne can sell something similar for a great price? LOL
  • Chris Detzel
    Chris Detzel

Thanks for your help Dr. Sparky ..... I will look further into what my church considers expensive.
    Jim
Verwandt Posts